Bike Park Equipment Operator (Seasonal)
Essential Duties/ Responsibilities:
- Operates mini excavators (John Deere 35G, John Deere 50) and trail dozer for building and maintaining bike trails and occasionally operates skid loader, telehandler, loader, and others.
- Prioritizes safety first on all projects.
- Will get out of equipment and operate a variety of hand tools, and power tools, including, but not limited to'; shovels, McLeod's, Pulaski axes, chainsaws, nail guns, circular saws, ATV's, etc.
- Daily inspections and maintenance of equipment is performed by operators including greasing, fueling, and checking fluid levels, or as set forth by the manufacturer's recommendations in order to optimize the crew's productivity and keep all equipment and tools in good repair.
- Conducts all trail building and maintenance to professional standards with the goals of stability, sustainability, and trail rating appropriateness.
- Ensures professionally designed and finished 'go-arounds' are built at all significant features on blue square and black diamond trails to provide an obvious and low risk alternative path for riders not confident in their ability to ride the feature. This will also be completed on double black diamond trails when and where possible to do so.
- Ensures all trail work areas are finished properly and aesthetically by removing, burying, or neatly stacking all trees and large limbs, seeding and haying all disturbed dirt and sides and backs of berms, tables, etc.
- Ensures proper signage is installed on all new trails, features, and drops prior to opening.
- Ensures all new or redesigned trails, features, and/or drops are signed off on by bike park manager and patrol manager prior to opening to the public.
- Maintains communication with bike patrol and makes arrangements for the maintenance and/or repair of any trail sections or features reported to be in need of maintenance and/or repair.
- Manages water drainage on trails by the use of drainage pipe, culverts, ditches, and sustainable trail designs which minimize erosion and enhance the sustainability of trails.
- Required to assist with bike park events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 2+ years experience running mini excavators required and other equipment preferred.
- 2+ years experience in trail building and maintenance, preferably in a bike park environment.
- Must be experienced on mountain bikes, preferably downhill and have the ability to ride all levels of trails in the Bike Park.
- Knowledge of how a bike trail should ride.
- Must be able to operate a company vehicle including ATVs and trucks.
Education or Formal Training: High School Diploma or GED
Equipment Directly Used: John Deere 35G/50; Trail Dozer
Working Environment/Physical Activities:
This position will require working weekends and holidays.
Mountain Environment: The primary physical environment in which this position works is outdoors with a high exposure level to heat, cold, snow, wind, rain, mud, bugs, sun, high altitude, extreme heights, lightning, etc. The degree of strenuous activity within the job is considered to be high. Often lifting a weight of 50 pounds throughout the day is common. Additional strenuous physical activity may include walking or hiking upon uneven, challenging terrain with heavy tools or equipment.
Exposure to: Chemicals required for cleaning, de-greasing, and painting. Ultraviolet radiation from the sun is enhanced through lack of atmospheric filtration at work altitude. Fumes produced in activities ranging from cleaning to painting to fabrication of metal products. Noise generated by ATVs, trucks, heavy equipment, lift equipment, and tools may require hearing protection to be worn.Apply now