Winter 2020/2021 Update
Dear Purgatory Guests and Friends,
We’re in the middle of a great summer at Purgatory Resort. Our team and I are so thankful we have been able to provide our guests with alpine adventures during these uncertain times. With operations shifting to weekends after this Sunday, August 16, and the evenings becoming chillier, we’re thinking about the winter season ahead. Today is the 100-day mark to our scheduled November 21 opening and we are looking forward to sharing a winter full of mountain memories with you once again!
What’s New! We’re excited to announce a few new additions for the 2020/2021 winter season all snow riders can enjoy: three new snowcats will help us maintain our groomed terrain reliably and the purchase of energy-efficient TechnoAlpin fan guns will give our snowmaking team nearly double the snow production using fan technology without reducing compressed air capacity that helps us run more air/water guns when temperatures are marginal, especially during the early season.
In light of COVID-19, we recognize many unknowns still exist at this time, but we believe that our mountains provide the perfect place to social distance, enjoy the fresh air (and powder!), and boost our moods. As of today, here is what we do know:
- Our scheduled opening day is Saturday, November 21, 2020, and we plan to operate daily through Sunday, April 4, 2021, and on Saturdays and Sundays through April 18, 2021.
- We anticipate a cap of daily guests this winter. With this in mind, we want to assure our valued passholders that we are working on a convenient system to offer access for you each and every day. Also, guests who book their stay directly through the resort will be guaranteed access to purchase lift tickets, rentals, and lessons for the duration of their stay.
- To our Snowburners/ATP parents: We are working hard to come up with sustainable programs to offer this season and will provide an update as soon as we have specific information to share with you.
- All facets of our operation are evolving with the goal of providing contactless options for our guests. For example, we are planning for all tickets, lessons and rental products to be purchased online, in advance with a reloadable option to make extending your trip even easier. Also in development is a food and beverage online ordering system, and guests can expect modified ski school, rentals, parking lot, and shuttle operations.
- We are working closely with local public health officials to monitor and assess the evolving situation. Purgatory has been actively supporting La Plata County’s planning, community monitoring, and response efforts of COVID-19. The resort staff is working side-by-side with public health experts and will do so until there is no longer a public health concern.
- The health and safety of our team and guests is our number one priority, and practices implemented this summer will continue, including daily temperature checks for staff and increased sanitation practices throughout the resort.
Although we are anxiously awaiting the first snowfall of the season, there is plenty of summer left to enjoy! Activities are open daily through this Sunday, August 16, with weekend operations continuing on Saturdays and Sundays (plus Labor Day Monday) through October 4. For information on activities and to reserve tickets, click here.
Please keep an eye on our blog and social channels for timely updates as we move closer to our scheduled winter opening date. We truly appreciate our guests and can’t wait to see you on the mountain this winter!