Press Release: 2022 Capital Improvement Projects
Durango, CO — (May 9, 2022) — Purgatory announces capital improvement projects to enhance the year-round recreational experience and preserve the uniqueness of Purgatory. The overall plan’s primary goal is in line with the resort’s mission: skiing first.
“Despite setbacks and challenges over the past several years, we are committed to the long-term success of Purgatory,” said Dave Rathbun, GM of Purgatory. “These strategic investments will improve the resort experience and continue to define Purgatory for decades to come.” The following projects are scheduled to begin this summer:
- Snowmaking System Modernization – a completely upgraded system, including rebuilt pumps, a new energy-efficient compressor, and control automation will improve reliability and maximum delivery of water and air to snowguns using less energy in less time to capitalize on shorter snowmaking temperature windows.
- Parking – expanded parking capacity and continued incentive for carpooling. Additional spaces added to lower Columbine and Gelande parking lots. The Main Village parking lot will continue to be reserved for free parking for vehicles with 4+ people on weekends and holidays during the ski season.
- Lift Upgrades – Lift 1 and 3 will continue their respective multi-year modernization plans to add decades to their reliable operation.
- Bike Park – Purgatory will increase uphill mountain bike capacity with the second installation of the Deason bike tray carriers and the completion of the Shangri-La trail from the top of Lift 1 to the top of Lift 4 this summer, the resort’s first lift-served downhill trail for beginners. For competitive cyclists, Purgatory will continue to develop podium-quality terrain and host national races like the Big Mountain Enduro and USA Cycling Collegiate Mountain Bike Championships returning in July and October 2022.
- Rental Equipment – Skiers can enjoy a brand new performance rental fleet from Völkl.
- On-Mountain Dining – Dante’s Café and Backside Bistro will undergo improvements to the guest experience including new design elements coupled with a reimagined culinary experience for both outlets.
- WiFi Connectivity – modernized WiFi system in the base area on the beach and in Powderhouse and Dante’s on-mountain lodges will deliver more bandwidth through improved connectivity.
- Digital Radio System – a multi-year radio system conversion to digital technology commences this summer with the replacement of the Ski Patrol channel and hardware.
- Grooming and Slope Maintenance – a Prinoth Leitwolf X winch cat will complete Purgatory’s fleet rotation of snow-grooming machines to improve slope and park maintenance capabilities. Over the last 3-years, Purgatory has made significant investments to replace its entire fleet of grooming machines. Prinoth Leitwolf is known as the most powerful snow groomer in the world and is the gold standard for ski resorts. The resort now boasts one of the most modern and technologically advanced grooming fleets in the industry.
Now through May 20, guests can receive the guaranteed lowest price of the season on the Power Pass. The Power Pass provides unlimited access to Purgatory Resort and Hesperus Ski Area in Durango, plus, Arizona Snowbowl, Brian Head Resort, and Nordic Valley Ski Area in Utah, Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort and Pajarito Mountain in New Mexico, and Spider Mountain Bike Park in Texas. This year’s Power Pass lineup includes a new pass product, free skiing, and mountain bike uplifts for kids ages 12 and younger, and zero price increases. Visit Purgatory.ski to learn more.